Farming Together is excited to release our first podcast in the series, Future proofing your farm using a collaborative approach.
Growing the organic growers of tomorrow with a co-operative model is Harcourt Organic Farming Co-operative. In this first episode Amanda Scott chats to Hugh and Katie Finlay of Harcourt Organic Farming Co-operative.
Realising as they aged, they could not physically continue with all the farm work required, Katie and Hugh formed a co-operative that would not only ensure the farm’s continued productivity, it would also help mentor the next generation of farmers and offer them greater lease security. The farm includes five enterprises on site: including a dairy, orchard, market garden, fruit tree nursery and the Grow Great Fruit online teaching business.
The couple share their secrets to making it work: from negotiating watertight contracts to building community and trust among its members.
Learn more about Harcourt Organic Farming Co-operative:
- Read the Harcourt Organic Farming Co-op Case Study
- Watch Farming Together’s Talking about Your Generation Webinar on Succession Planning with Katie & Hugh Finlay and Lorraine Gordon
- Watch Katie and Hugh Finlay on ABC News
- Visit the Harcourt Organic Farming Co-op website
- Visit the Tellurian Fruit Gardens website
- Visit the Grow Great Fruit website
- Visit the Gung Hoe Growers website
- Like Harcourt Organic Farming Co-op on Facebook